Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

table question...adding two fields to create a third field?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcswew

Programmer
Nov 20, 2002
IE
Hi,
I am designing an access table where two fields are integer fields. A third field also an integer field is the multiple of the first two integer fields. Is it possible in an access table to add the contents of two columns and automatically update the third column. i.e price per column item £5, total number col 6, total cost col £30.

I dont mean through expression builder and a query generated table. Rather I mean in a generic table so that when the user enters the price and the total number then the total cost column automatically updates.

I have used access queries a lot in the past but this is my first time actually designing a database from scratch.
thanks Willie

Hi Willie!

In general, don't store any information that can be obtained by operations performed on existing data. Since this is against the standard normalization rules, Access does not support this. If you insist on storing this data anyway, then you will need to do some coding in a form and make sure all of the records are entered through the form and not directly to the table.

hth
Jeff Bridgham
bridgham@purdue.edu

Hi Jeff,
Thanks, that answers my question. I actually want to add a java front end to this database so I will just have to do the calculation prior to loading the database field. I just thought access might do it for me.
Willie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back