Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table of Contents and User Defined Text 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzreid

Technical User
Sep 26, 2000
GB
A couple of questions
1. I have a master/detail report that will generate over one hundred pages. To make it easier for the user when the report is printed I would like to insert a page at the beginning of the report that contains a table of contents with the page numbers. Is this possible??

2. I have another report (in table format) which is run each month. The first column in this report has a number in it that will not change from month to month. It is not stored in the database anywhere. Each of the other columns have numbers that can be calculated from the database. Is there any way that I can keep this number in the report?

Thanks in advance
Suz

Hello suzreid,

To answer the first question:
You can create a dummy table above the section header by, for instance retrieving sysdate in the query. If you insert table above section header,you clear the cell contents and start adding empty rows below the cell. Go to slice and dice panel and deactivate the section for this table. You'll have a table to start with and all information in the sections below that. If you can assure that every section starts with a new page , you can even create a table this way with linenumber() and the section-object to get the contence of the sections matched to the pagenumbers.
(This will only be one to one if the contents of a section-value does not occupy more than a page)

I must say, the second question is a bit confusing. Are you refering to something like linenumber() ???? T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

To explain the second point further. The report is to show a running total of occupied beds on a month by month basis but the planned usage is the same each month

Example
Report 1 printed at end of month 1
planned = 300 month 1 = 10 running total = 10
Report 2 printed at end of month 2
planned = 300 month 1 = 10
month 2 = 15 running total = 25
etc

The planned figure is not stored in the database anywhere and I don't want the users to input the planned figure each month.

I hope this explains everything a bit clearer.

Suz

Hello Suz,

Information as shown in a BO report is meant to come from a dataprovider. This however is not necessarily the database where other data is coming from. You could store the planned figures in a flatfile and use this as a second dataprovider and link them somehow to the information already in the report. The way you link the second dataprovider to the data in the flatfile is through common dimensions.
Storing information at reportlevel without using a dataprovider is not the way BO handles information. It is a read-only tool by nature..... T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Hi all,

I could not get the solution to question:

"I have a master/detail report that will generate over one hundred pages. To make it easier for the user when the report is printed I would like to insert a page at the beginning of the report that contains a table of contents with the page numbers. Is this possible??"

Can you please elaborate on the steps. I tried the functions:page,NumberOfPages,PageInSection. But could not generate the context relation in the top table which was created as per earlier suggestion.

I created a variable called Page_no and brought it into the top table with columns sectionheader,Page_no. I always got the Page_no value as 1, but when the same variable was dragged into the section it used to give me the correct one.

Any inputs highly appreciated.

ThanQ and Happy learning...

Regards,
Srinath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back