Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table Modification 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimick

Technical User
Oct 27, 2005
CA
Good afternoon ..I have a couple of questions .

I have a few reports which use an existing table ..There was a new field added to this table. Any existing catalogs do not show this feild ..What is the best way add it ..If I delete the table then add it again and recreate the joins any reports which did use it will not work ...I have to add all the fields onto the report again ..

Any suggestions ...

Thanks
John

John_Nimick@listech.on.ca

I had this issue as well...the work around I came up with was to open the query subject and instead of using the '*' character to select all fields, I specified each field name and included the newly added field as well.

This way the existing packages were not effected and furthermore the new field was included

Greg ..thanks for the response ..I cannot find what you mentioned ..I have looked everywhere ...when I look in the SQL detail it does currently specify each field name ..

Thanks
John

Nimick could you specify which application you are working with ?
By reading your post, I think you are in Impromptu , and greggranger is most probably thinking of reportnet (Framework manager)

In Impromptu: Open your catalog.
Go to table and re-add the table with the new fields without removing it. You have now all the new fields in the left frame, but not in the folder.

To add the new fields in your folder:
Open folder in the catalog menu.
Click Generate, select database Table.
Browse the available tables and open the table with the new fields.
Highlight the new fields and click ok.
A new folder is added to the catalog, generally table name1 if it exists already.
Now you can cut the new fields and paste them in the previous catalog folder and delete the tablename1 folder.

Very often after this process, when trying to get the new fields in the report , you get an error message. Don't be worried , close the catalog , exit impromptu , and restart it, everything is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back