Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table locking problems with a shared database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanibel

Technical User
Nov 15, 2001
GB
I have written a shared Access database but am getting the following error whem testing it in a multiuser environment.

Could not lock table xxx; currently in use by user yyy on machine zzz.

I get this error if user A has a form open and user B tries to run a report accessing data from the same table used in the open form. The report does not update any data and I get the same error if I run the select query on which the report is based. Both users can however open the form at the same time without getting this error.

I did think that tables would only be locked whilst they were being updated not when they are open in a form.
I have opened the database in shared mode and with the no locks option.

Which options should I be using to give users less restrictive access.

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I have split the database into a front and back-end. I have created two front-ends and tried opening the form in one and running the report in the other and still get the same "could not lock table" error.

Any further thoughts?

Is the report's Record Locks property set to anything? Have you set up record locking for the database or the form?

Thanks for the advice. The Record Locks property was set to All Records on just a few of my reports, including the one that first highlighted the problem. Setting these to No Locks has resolved the issue.

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back