Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table Lock Contention Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkillilea

MIS
Dec 7, 2004
US
Three times a day I need to drop a table (say, TABLE1) and rename another freshly imported, prepped and indexed table (say, TABLE1_TEMP). They are the exact same table, one just has more current MTD info. I keep getting locked out from dropping TABLE1 as people are running selects and views off of it.

It may sound strange how I am dropping and re-naming tables, but it's the only way this particular set of tables will work. Plus it only takes a millisecond so users would only notice if they ran a view right at that millisecond.

I want to completely unlock TABLE1 so I can drop it when necessary. Is there a way I can build that into the table structure? Or am I stuck with the SQL Server lock contentions.

Keep in mind I do not need to insert update and delete rows (that's actually the beuty of it) so all users can be read only. I don't mind if they get cut off in the middle of a query either.

You would need to kill any users which are using the table. You can find this out by using the sp_lock command.

I would recommend using the sp_getapplock procedure to lock the table, then kill anyone who is using the table, then do the drop and rename.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back