Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table linking problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pandpp

Programmer
Sep 17, 2003
AU
Hi,

I have a problem linking 2 tables to a third. The problem currently exists when linking this via CR directly.

I am using CR7 (can't upgrade), SQL Server 7.

I overcame the problem originally by using a SP, only, I have since found out the app the report is viewed through, will NOT accept any foreign tables, views, SP's, etc.

I have 3 tables, 2 of which link happily, via an AccountNo.

The third table links with one of these tables, but, not directly. Since the fields that link are of differing lengths, CR won't allow a standard link.

Possibly the easiest way to describe what I need is to list the SQL code I used in my SP:

SELECT

FROM
(Contact1
INNER JOIN ContHist ON
Contact1.AccountNo = ContHist.AccountNo)
INNER JOIN Lookup ON
Lookup.FieldName = 'MAPPTACTCDV'

WHERE
Lookup.Entry LIKE ContHist.ActvCode + '%'

Now, I can get Contact1 & ContHist to behave perfectly, via standard linking.

I even managed to figure out to HIDE the Lookup table. This in itself may be my problem.

The problem I have though, is when I set the Record Selection to either:
{LOOKUP.ENTRY} Like {CONTHIST.ACTVCODE} + '*'
OR
{LOOKUP.FIELDNAME} = 'MAPPTACTCDV'
I am returned zero records, which is NOT correct. I need both of these included, somehow.

Any suggestions at this point are MOST welcome.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter

Is it not possible to have some code running which actaully creates a TABLE with all the data you need (as opposed to a view or sp)? Eg some VB code which creates a table and populates it with the data you need.

It might be, but, the 3rd party app the report is being called from, checks the RPT file, for data sources & calls any source that it doesn't know, an 'unsupported' table & crashes...

That's why the SP option failed so miserably in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back