Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

table layout resizing to dynamic content

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzi2

Technical User
Mar 4, 2002
GB
Apologies if this has been answered before - the search facility is not working.

I have a table (750 px wide) in which I have various cells. All of the cells have been given fixed width sizes (as pixels not %). In one cell (750 px wide) I have some dynamic text - bound to a column in my Access 2002 database.
When viewed through the testing server this dynamic text (which is quite long) causes the cell (and therefore the table) to widen to the width of the browser window.

I want to be able to force the text to wrap sooner - ie at 750px wide. What am I doing wrong? I have seen it done correctly but can not fathom out where I have gone wrong!

Will try anything...

P.S.(The field is set to 'Memo' in Access)

Sorry - have been a bit stupid. Please ignore the question.

For those of you that were wondering (?!) it turns out that column width will adjust to acoomodate the largest word. And being lazy, I put dummy text in my database of:

jfdkslfjksla;fjsdkal;jdfkslajfkdlsafjkadl;fdjskafjdaskfjsdk etc

which is a very long word!

:~/

lol

You might be interested in the "lorem ipsum" extension from which generates giberish latin fo rthis sortof purpose.

Cheech

[Peace][Pipe]
If you don't stand up for something, you'll fall down. Toke it Easy.
Howard Marks.

Thanks for the tip - it may be useful - not that I usually have a problem generating gibberish.

:-V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back