Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

table joins - find all hours worked plus employee information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kincaco

Programmer
Jun 19, 2000
US
What is the best way to join 2 tables: 1) hours worked, 2) employees - to get employee information (name, supervisor, etc.) for employees who recorded hours worked in a date range (the dates will be in the hours table.)?<br>I don't want to see employees who did not work in that date range.<br>I would start with something like:<br><br>SELECT hours.employee_id, hours.reg_hours, hours.ot_hours, employees.employee_name, employees.supervisor_id FROM Hours, Employees WHERE hours.employee_id = employee.employee_id. AND hours.record_date BETWEEN to_date('06/02/2000','MM/DD/YYYY') AND to_date('06/09/2000','MM/DD/YYYY');<br><br>This will probably be an SQL pass through query from MS Access to search through rather large Oracle tables.&nbsp;&nbsp;Performance is important.&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks in advance!<br><br>

Well, you could start with:<br><br>SELECT h.employee_id, <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;sum(h.reg_hours), <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;sum(h.ot_hours),<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;e.employee_name,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;e.supervisor_id <br>FROM Hours h, Employees e <br>WHERE <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;h.employee_id = e.employee_id&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;AND h.record_date <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;BETWEEN<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;to_date('06/02/2000','MM/DD/YYYY') <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;AND<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;to_date('06/09/2000','MM/DD/YYYY')<br>GROUP BY&nbsp;&nbsp;h.employee_id,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;e.employee_name,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;e.supervisor_id <br>HAVING sum(h.reg_hours) + sum(h.ot_hours)&gt;0;<br><br>This should get you the information you're looking for.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then you can start working on performance.

Thanks carp.&nbsp;&nbsp;That join worked.&nbsp;&nbsp;The problem (which I failed to mention originally) is that I want to append this data to an Access table for temporary processing.&nbsp;&nbsp;Eventually I will be pulling information from 4 or 5 tables into one data set for reporting.&nbsp;&nbsp;The problem is that I am pulling from 2 groups of tables that were not designed to work together.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have to trim spaces from employee ids in one set before I can join them to another set.&nbsp;&nbsp;Trying to do this in an SQL pass-through query is causing more performance problems than it is solving.&nbsp;&nbsp;I can get the whole thing to work in MS Access without the pass-through queries but it takes about 6 minutes to run.&nbsp;&nbsp;I was hoping to get smarter about SQL queries so that I could improve the performance.&nbsp;&nbsp;If I can make this work better, the same logic will be applied to larger (much slower) queries.&nbsp;&nbsp;Some of the reports that we want to clean up can take up to 4 hours to run and other users notice when they are running.<br><br>Each of the following SQL works but I don't know how to combine them into one query:<br><br>SELECT salary_employee_hours.week_ending_date, salary_employee_hours.employee_id, <br>'Nontouch' AS labor_type, vw_salary_employee_master.employee_name, <br>vw_salary_employee_master.employee_site, vw_salary_employee_master.status_code, <br>vw_salary_employee_master.cost_element, vw_salary_employee_master.employee_type, <br>vw_salary_employee_master.exempt_type, vw_salary_employee_master.supervisor_id<br>FROM salary_employee_hours, vw_salary_employee_master<br>WHERE (salary_employee_hours.employee_id = vw_salary_employee_master.employee_id) <br>AND record_date BETWEEN TO_DATE('06/03/2000','MM/DD/YYYY') <br>AND TO_DATE('06/09/2000','MM/DD/YYYY');<br><br>SELECT LAPP.WEEK_ENDING_DATE, LAPP.DATE_OF_EMP_APPROVAL, LAPP.DATE_OF_SUP_APPROVAL, <br>rtrim(LAPP.EMPLOYEE_ID) AS EMPLOYEE_ID, 'Touch' AS Labor_Type<br>FROM LABOROWNER_LAPP<br>WHERE WEEK_ENDING_DATE BETWEEN TO_DATE('06/03/2000','MM/DD/YYYY') <br>And TO_DATE('06/09/2000','MM/DD/YYYY');<br><br>The dates come from an Access form where the user requests any of a number of reports from the data built by these and a few other queries.&nbsp;&nbsp;It's the building of the data table that takes a long time.&nbsp;&nbsp;The code behind the form creates the SQL and concantonates in the dates, runs it, then runs the report off the internal temp table.&nbsp;&nbsp;The only reason for the temp table is to pull the information together since I don't know how to put it all in one query.<br><br>I realize this is alot to read through.&nbsp;&nbsp;I appreciate your help. <br>Thanks,<br>Connie<br><br>

These tables seem fairly easy to join - but there don't seem to be any fields that refer to hours, etc.<br>Joining tables in the from clause rather than the where clause tends to make things a little easier to read, and is generally a good practice, especially with outer joins.&nbsp;&nbsp;Or did I miss something in your post?<br>SELECT salary_employee_hours.week_ending_date<br> , LAPP.DATE_OF_EMP_APPROVAL<br> , LAPP.DATE_OF_SUP_APPROVAL<br> , salary_employee_hours.employee_id<br> , 'Whatever' AS labor_type<br> , vw_salary_employee_master.employee_name<br> , vw_salary_employee_master.employee_site<br> , vw_salary_employee_master.status_code<br> , vw_salary_employee_master.cost_element<br> , vw_salary_employee_master.employee_type<br> , vw_salary_employee_master.exempt_type<br> , vw_salary_employee_master.supervisor_id<br>FROM salary_employee_hours<br> INNER JOIN vw_salary_employee_master ON salary_employee_hours.employee_id = vw_salary_employee_master.employee_id<br> INNER JOIN LABOROWNER_LAPP ON rtrim(LAPP.EMPLOYEE_ID) = salary_employee_hours.employee_id<br>WHERE record_date BETWEEN TO_DATE('06/03/2000','MM/DD/YYYY') AND TO_DATE('06/09/2000','MM/DD/YYYY')<br> AND WEEK_ENDING_DATE BETWEEN TO_DATE('06/03/2000','MM/DD/YYYY') And TO_DATE('06/09/2000','MM/DD/YYYY')<br> <p>Malcolm Wynden<br><a href=mailto:wynden@island.dot.net>wynden@island.dot.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back