Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

table index problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBirdieH

Technical User
May 22, 2001
US
We've been using paradox since 1994. We've had a few problems along the way, network speeds, particular station settings etc. This one is different. The largest table is almost a million records. It has 9 fields, block size 4, record size 48. It has one secondary index and currently no other lookups (I've removed them to eliminate issues) Several times over the last week I've repaired the table. I've done this a couple of different ways. Once just chimney sweep repair, once query and then reindex and once create a new table borrowing the structure and then adding the records. I got a little scared and copied out an ascii file too, but haven't used it. All the records didn't add, but I worked around that with old table copies. I increased the block size to 16. (created the new table with block size 16) This seemed to cause trouble immediately. I went back to 4. I've got Paradox version 10 but the BDE is running on version 5. Is this normal? Do you have to use a higher level feature in order for the table to be a higher level? Is this the same as "file format" in the table repair utility? I don't use that, but look sometimes and verify. I do use terminal services, so the server is doubling as a workstation when I'm on it. It hasn't caused problems in the past. Questions are two fold...do all the tables involved in a form have to be exactly the same block size or file format or level? What is the formula for using table specs and determining where it falls in accordance with "paradox limitations".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back