Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table Identifier Variable

Status
Not open for further replies.

zdoj

Programmer
Mar 20, 2003
US
I am dynamically creating tables in stored procedures, and would like to use variables for the table identifiers. Something like:

CREATE TABLE @TableName (

But I always get a syntax error "near '@TableName'". I am currently concatenating an entire SQL string and running it with sp_executesql, but I suspect it bypasses much stored proc optimisation, which is what I want (the creation strings are fairly long).

Another developer told me it works for him, but I can't seem to get it to work. Any ideas/workarounds? I am running MSDE 2000, and using both ODBC and ADO.Net.

TIA

If you can send the DDL statement, I can give a more correction solution, but are you concatenating the table variable with the CREATE TABLE statement?

SET @statement = 'CREATE TABLE ' + @tcTableName + ' ....'

HTH
SriSamp

When using table variables use the declare directive:

declare @myTable table (col1 int ...

HTH,
Vinod Kumar

You cannot use a variable for object or column names in SQL statemetns. Dynamic execution is the only way to do what you want to do. sp_ExecuteSQL is the best way to optimize dynamic SQL executions. If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874 and faq183-3179.
Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back