Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table formatting in WP12

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyCee

Technical User
Jan 12, 2012
US
I'm simply trying to change the color of a single horizontal line (separating 2 rows) to red.

So I go to the Borders/Fill screen. In the lower left-hand corner is a Color: drop-down. There, when I choose red, it makes the borders of ALL surrounding lines (top/bottom, L/R) red!

My sense is that, in WP12, there is no control to isolate a single line for a color change. Can anyone confirm or help me?

First, highlight the row you want to change.
From the Table menu or the Quick Menu or right click anywhere in the cell(s) you highlighted and choose Borders/Fill
From the cell Fill area, click the Cell Fill button...usually reads Default on the right side of the dialogue box
Find the drop down box at the bottom of the dialouge box and clcik on fill 100%
Now Choose your foreground color and click apply & than ok
Click to any other part of your document to see the final color.

Thanks for your rely, DDW124, but you didn't read my problem carefully. My objective is not to fill a horizontal row w/ some color. My objective is to ONLY color 2 parallel horizontal lines within a table.

I repeat:

I go to the Borders/Fill screen. In the lower left-hand corner is a Color: drop-down. This should only apply to "Cell Lines"! When I choose red, it makes the borders of ALL surrounding lines (top/bottom, L/R) red!

There are no selection options (as,for example, in a MS Word table) to isolate lines. There appears to be no way to isolate lines within a WP12 table to color them. As awesome as WP is, this astounds me.

the color icon that you are using will change the color of the lines which surround the cell. That is all it is meant to do.

When you say "I'm simply trying to change the color of a single horizontal line (separating 2 rows) to red." which horizontal line do you mean? The line at the top of the cell or at the bottom of the cell or is it something different?

I don't want to change the color of "the lines that surround the cell." That is where this thread started (see 01/12/12; middle statement).

When I say I want to "change the color of a single horizontal line (separating 2 rows) to red." that implies ONE line.

"The line at the top of the cell or at the bottom of the cell" makes no sense. It's one line.

Imagine a table w/several rows and many adjacent horizontal cells. Suppose you want to highlight 'a' (uno; one) line to a highlighted color, e.g., red. If you were successful (it's a no-brainer in MS Word, as much as I hate that word processor), when you are finished, you would see a series of horizontal cells below which is a red horizontal (dividing) line, below which is another row of horizontal cells.

Let me say it a different way: When you finished you would see ONE horizontal line colored red in the table.

There would be NO vertical lines colored red - anywhere !!!!!

I'm not sure how many other ways I could describe this.

Perhaps you could attach a file in MS Word to show me what it is you are trying to achieve.

The guidance on this site for "how" to attach a file is lacking to say the least. After staring for quite some tine, it appears that attaching a file, per se, is impossible,. Rather, it appears that one must first upload the file to some site and supply a URL link to the site that holds the file. To the right of the field that "wants" the URL is a link to MediaFire, a pay site. I played with it for a while and may have figured out a way to upload the sample table I created in MS Word. Whether or not I was really successful will remain to be seen, after I post this. Again, guidance is sorely lacking.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?himh5o5dmve5v90
Your last post was unnecessary. I successfully uploaded my sample table to MediaFire (link is above in THAT post by me).

You asked me to attach (upload, really) a sample table in MS Word format showing what I have been saying all along that wanted to do. Now that I've done that, have you any thoughts?

Go to the link in my response. Your answer is there in the file. Download and open the file.

Firstly, I apologize for my last post. I didn't read your post carefully and understand that you were referencing a uploaded WP file w/ an example, etc.

I now see your example and instructions. My reaction now is sort of one of those good news/bad news ones:

* The good news is, as you duly demonstrated, it IS possible to create a single colored line.

* The bad news is it's woefully more difficult and counter-intuitive than the same effect in MS Word, and this surprises me. I never dreamed of first canceling (deleting) the table line. Then, the technique of inserting a horizontal line in its place, to be colored later, also amounts to complicated extra steps. In my practice of your demo, I had to resize the line - both horizontally and vertically - to get it right.

In summary, I thank you for demonstrating that it CAN be done. The means for doing so seems needlessly complicated and I'm quite surprised that Corel didn't invent a more convenient way of effecting such a simple thing. I wonder if in later versions of Corel WP Office (e.g., X5) they "fixed this" and made it doable from the Borders/Fill dialog (such as in MS Word). THAT would be huge!

Apology accepted. Wordperfect 12 was introduced in 2004. The newer version is much more intuitive and flexible. Well worth a try.
Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back