Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table does not print properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

igmp

Technical User
Jul 21, 2003
US
Hi, I have a word document with inserted excel object as a table. In one raw of this table, I have a paragrah occupy three lines.

When print, I only get two lines with all the content. Tried to print same document from different computer, it's just fine. Also tried print to different printer, still two lines.

Any comments is appreciated.

I igmp,

The way Word prints a file, including how many lines to a page, etc, can be affected by any and all of:
. Printer Make/Model
. Print driver settings
. Display resolution
. Display driver
. Display refresh rate (I kid you not)

You may be able to work around the problem by increasing the row height in the embedded Excel worksheet.

Cheers

Thanks for your reply.

To me, the display settings is not suppose to effect printing. Instead, it may has impact on how the document is shown on screen. Because it's Word controls the layout and send the format information to printer driver.

^_^

Not so. Word interrogates the printer driver in order to work out how to lay out the page.

You are confusing a Word processor such as Word with a Page Layout application such as Framemaker.

Because every printer is different and even printer drivers differ between versions and OSs, Word is inconsistent in page layout depending on the printer driver in use.

Regards: tf1

tf1 is correct. Word interpolates the printer driver. Word does not do the format and send to the printer driver. It uses the printer driver even for screen display.

Gerry

Thanks guys, then why on screen it's just fine but when print out, it only gives you two lines instead of three.

Regards,

Poor Graphics driver would be my guess.

Regards: tf1

Re: "why on screen it's just fine but when print out, it only gives you two lines instead of three":

This behaviour is common with Excel objects embedded in Word documents. Unfortunately, Word and Excel have different ideas of how to lay out their respective parts of the document.

Cheers

Three lines on screen is actially correct. I also want to have three lines (instead of two) when print.

If the graphic driver is poor, should it still show three lines on screen?

I tried to print the embedded excel object separately from Excel, the problem remains the same.

Hi igmp,

As I said in my original post:
"You may be able to work around the problem by increasing the row height in the embedded Excel worksheet."

Changing graphics drivers or their settings is unlikely to resolve the differences in page layout interpretation between Word and Excel.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back