Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table design null values

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBrack

MIS
Mar 12, 2004
US

Hello, We have a table in access 2003 that has around 140 fields. Some records might have many fields blank. Around 50 can be blank. All the fields of a record are related to a single person. This table is called person table. Data such as person flight number, hotel adress etc are stored. Should each category (travel, etc.. ) of data be separated into separate table or is it ok with all of them in single table? What are the pros and cons? Thanks...

Hello: Thank you. I've read it. However, I couldn't find answers to my questions there.

It is very unlikely that a table with 140 fields is 3NF (third normal form).

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

I would need to see your field names, what you presented is pretty vague, but if you have 140 fields and some records have 50 blank fields, I would say you don't even pass the first normal form. Basically, you can't have variable length records which seems like you do.
To do a good normalizing analysis on your table, we need your field names.
Is this your only table?
Do you have duplicate data in the table? eg. hotel address.
You say all the fields of a record are related to a single person. Is this REALLY true??
Maybe you can supply more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back