Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table Comparison Between Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrtaylor

Technical User
Jan 24, 2002
US
I have been working in the backup of a database developing additional forms and reports for the last couple of weeks while users have been working in the original database. My question is probably very basic, but is there an easy way to compare the table contents of the two databases so I can easily incorporate the changes made during the last week in to the revised database so nothing is lost when the revised database id given to the users?

I have been running queries between the tables but it becomes very time consuming. Is there code that would accomplish the same?
Thanks!
jrtaylor

Why are you NOT importing the forms and reports you changed or added into the original database?

Agreed. Update the code and infostructure - not the DATA.

FWIW, here are some techniques I use for managing THOSE changes (as opposed to table content changes, which leave no telltales - timestamps are unchanged). These are just to keep straight what I did myself LOL

As to code changes, I export them, and use text comparison utilities (filecomp, compare.com).

In some cases I rely on filedates, or access modification dates (to rule out having to check something). And as to Access changing modification dates simply because you compacted a database, I'd be delighted to personally compact the clueless, d**kless developer(s) who are responsible :)

If you really want to compare table outputs as you've described, AND you have disciplined control over a field called "entrytime," then stick NOW() in that field or something like that. Again, weigh that "discipline" aspect (e.g. user changes machine time, etc.), but this could be a real, real easy way to find table content changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back