Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table Buffering

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigspank

Programmer
Aug 10, 2001
US
I have set my default settings to pessimistic record buffering, yet when I run the form an try to add data I get an error 1596 stating that the buffering is not on? I cahnged the buffering setting to table buffering and got the same results error 1596. Is there a bug or something? What can I do to fix this as it is driving me nuts. Thanks!
Big SPank When you sow a thought, you reap an act. When you sow an act, you reap a habit. When you sow a habit, you reap a character. When you sow a character, you reap a destiny.

When you say you try to "add data", are you adding a new record or modifying an existing record?

Just about everything I've read about table buffering says that 'optimistic table' is the wise choice. Try switching over to that to see if there's any difference.

Steve

Hi

Pessimistic buffering prevents other users in a multi-user environment from accessing a particular record or table while you're making changes to it.

SO if some one in the network has got the record even for reading, you wont be able to lock this record under pessimistic lock. Optimistic record locking will be more suitable for multiuser databases in general, UNLESS you want to stop anyone else from using the record even for reading. More so trouble some is file is locked in pessimistic buffering.

I suggest you to OTIMISTIC ROW BUFFER as your byffer mode. This locks the records when the writing is done. Also you can do the writing with some some check as to .. of that is a success or a failure.

See for example the following thread..

Replace dont work in very rare occasions
thread184-165290

If you have some pessimistic buffer in some ares.. then it becomes essential that you check fo the uccess of this also..

LOCAL lLock
DO WHILE .t.
lLock = CURSORSETPROP(..........)
IF lLock
EXIT
ELSE
** If youe need a message post that..
ENDIF
ENDDO

Hope this helps you :) ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G),FoxAcc, ramani_g@yahoo.com

Status