Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table Borders in Netscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
When i place a coloured border around a table in fpage 2000 and view it in IE5 it displays ok. But Netscape 6.1 wont display any table borders. Can you tell me what the html is to display table borders in Netscape.
Thanks

Netscape does not recognize colored borders but the border itself should show. If not please post the code. DeZiner
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember that amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic

Code for Borders created in FP2000. They will not display when viewed in netscape 6.1

<html>

<head>
<meta http-equiv=&quot;Content-Language&quot; content=&quot;en-au&quot;>
<meta http-equiv=&quot;Content-Type&quot; content=&quot;text/html; charset=windows-1252&quot;>
<meta name=&quot;GENERATOR&quot; content=&quot;Microsoft FrontPage 4.0&quot;>
<meta name=&quot;ProgId&quot; content=&quot;FrontPage.Editor.Document&quot;>
<title>This</title>
</head>

<body>

<div align=&quot;center&quot;>
<center>
<table border=&quot;0&quot; cellpadding=&quot;0&quot; cellspacing=&quot;0&quot; width=&quot;200&quot;>
<tr>
<td style=&quot;border: 2 solid #000080&quot; align=&quot;center&quot;>This</td>
<td style=&quot;border: 2 solid #000080&quot; align=&quot;center&quot;>is</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td style=&quot;border: 2 solid #000080&quot; align=&quot;center&quot;>a</td>
<td style=&quot;border: 2 solid #000080&quot; align=&quot;center&quot;>test</td>
</tr>
</table>
</center>
</div>

</body>

</html>

Thanks

That's not a border around a table, that's a border around a table cell. I'm not surprised to find that NS doesn't support it - it was probably too much work for the programmers. Try embedding a <div>...</div> inside the table cells and applying the style attributes to that. (Deja Vu! I could have sworn I just said that!)
Tracy Dryden
tracy@bydisn.com

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard.

actually, you have a few &quot;macgyver&quot; choices here:

1) make a big table and fill it with the color you want to use as the border color. then, place a one cell table inside it with cellspacing=1 and make this table the same size as the previous. from there, build what you need to. its kind of a &quot;ghost&quot; approach.

2) with the table you have now, add a row at the top and the bottom, and a column on both sides, then toss in a one pixel graphic which represents the color you want.

hope this helps, if not, call me: phentalmyst@hotmail.com

-pm

phentalmyst, those are very good ideas for build-it-yourself table borders, but if you look at the code Chris posted you'll see that what s/he's actually trying to do is put borders around certain table cells. Your technique would still be usable though, of s/he nested a table using your border technique inside the cells where s/he wants a border. I'm going to email myself a copy of this thread for reference - those two tricks may come in handy some day. Tracy Dryden
tracy@bydisn.com

Uh guys....I have a great idea....instead of not being standards complient and taking what front page gives you as what the code should be .... you could realize that

border: 2 solid #000080

is not a valid css property.

2 what? 2px? 2em? 2pt?

add the px to the end of 2 and netscape interprets it just fine. Just like it should. CSS SHOULD ignore the 2 when it does not have a unit attached to it....so its IE thats getting it wrong. It was too much work for the IE programmers to get it right.

And talk about programmers not doign work, why the heck can't I use fixed positioning and CSS2 selectors in IE6? They have worked for almsot a year now in every netscape 6 release............

===
Supports Mozilla and Web Standards
Knows HTML/XHTML, CSS1, JavaScript, PHP, C++, DOM1
===

Thanks everyone for your help......I tried the last sugesstion from TrevMan and put 'px' next to the border size and there it was......a border that shows in NS

Thanks guys

Are we not bothering with NS4 anymore?

The border attribute only works with block-level elements on NS4 hence this example will still not work on that browser even if you do write 2px.

Just are thought.

Tom

That's a good eye to catch the missing units there. I should have caught that, since I did catch it on a similar problem on another thread. Tracy Dryden
tracy@bydisn.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back