Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table and forms multiple records help please 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystalaid

IS-IT--Management
Jun 11, 2003
AU
Hi there.

Brad here... brad@crystalaid.com
We are have real trouble with setting up our database.
We have created 3 tables.... each has Cust Account # as the keyed field in table position 1.

Table one is Customers and gives the customer details such as personal address and so on. The first field is Cust Account # and is keyed.

Table two is Company and gives details such as Company address. Again the first field is Cust Account # and is keyed.

Table three is Orders and gives details such as orders placed. The first field is Cust Account # and is keyed.

We've made Cust Account # a unique field, and we want to be able to enter the customer details into table one and two and then enter the orders placed into table three. This works fine if we only enter the customers number once, but when they place another order and we try to enter their next purchase into orders we get a key violation. We can't duplcate the Cust Account #.. which I guess is correct because we have it keyed, but how do we do it?

We have also made all the tables "look up" so they transfer various details such as stock details from a forth data base called stock. When we enetr a stock number into Orders table it displays the info on the product after looking up the Stock table... This part works fine.. I think.

We also need to create a multi table form which will display the customer number and details as well as the orders that have been placed over a six month period.... all on the one form..... is this possible?

Hope someone can please help us as we are totally lost on what to do. Tried to remove the keyed fields, but I must be still doing something wrong as this did not work either.

Many thanks and have a great day
Kindest regards
Brad

Brad,

I have a similar system,with each order having it's own invoice number, the orders table is the Master table with a link to the customer table and a child table as a lineitem table. Whilst not perfect it does work. If you require any further information please do not hesitate to ask.

Lewy

We have had a similar problem and our work around was to develop another keyed field and just put a 1 or 2 or 3 etc. in that field. In your case that may represent order #1, or #2 etc (this you would have to keep track of) this still allows you a unique customer#. Or as Lewy stated a unique invoice #.

Thanks guys... really do appreciate your help

See ya.. best regards
Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back