Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tabbing through an online booklet

Status
Not open for further replies.

calista

Programmer
Jan 24, 2001
US
I am working on a website where the client wants an online version on a plastic spiral bound booklet. OK, I found a .gif for the spiral binding, and I can adjust the color. Here's the part I need help with. The booklet is 17 pages, and the client wants to see a column showing a "tab" for each page as the navigation bar. I have some ideas, but I would like to get other input on the best way to do this.

Thanks! Calista :-X
Jedi Knight,
Champion of the Force

Are you unsure about creating the images, or how to integrate these into the page?

If I were you I would just create a long thin image with the tabs for each page on. Duplicate this for each page, and highlight a different tab on each copy.

Then, on each different page, use the relevant image. You could create image maps over the image to make the links.

Thats the easiest way to achieve this without any programming. There are other ways to go about this if you want to use ASP or something.

Nick (Software Developer)

nick@retrographics.fsnet.co.uk
nick.price@myenable.com

Nick posted before I could but I was going to say the same thing - an image map.

I did something kind of similar a while back with an image map-except it was on the left hand side. As you move through the site, you'll see that the image that the page represents is colored in and marked with a paw print. I'm sure a similar effect could be created with the tabs.

~Kim

Oh, thanks, Nick- they're not mine, though. I found them for free on the Discovery Channel site, the section for teachers. They were perfect for the look I was going for:)

I wish I had such talent:)

~Kim

Thanks, Kim and Nick! Yeah, that's kind of what I had in mind. I just wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas. Maybe I'll post it when I'm done. This is my first freelance job, and it's been a learning experience. Calista :-X
Jedi Knight,
Champion of the Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back