Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TAB SETTINGS PM 6.5 VS WORD RTF FORMAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

pack

Programmer
Oct 6, 2000
CA
Last year when we created our roster I prepared everything
using word 8 and saved the files as rtf. Using pm I set up the PM document and printer on my laser print for a sample.

Upon delivery to the printer it was discovered that the
printer's os read my floppy and when it was sent to the printer all the pages had screwed up tab settings.

We had to the cut paste and manually layup the original copy i send them as a sample of each page.

Can someone explain to me in layman's terms what actually happened and what I should be doing to prevent the problem again this year.

If it looked fine on your PageMaker, let's ignore the Word RTF issue.

Let's also assume that the printer did not tweak your margins, tabs and layout.

The only variable left is the font. You may have used 'Arial' (for example) in your layout on your computer. But when you supply your disk to a printer, they may use their own version of 'Arial'. Fonts (even if similarly named) can have different kerning and tracking (horizontal spacing) settings. If the printer's font is slightly wider or thinner than your font, your tab stops may go haywire.

Your best bet is to use 'Save for Service Provider' from the Utility menu. This will package all fonts used in your publication.

Another option is to export as a PDF with fonts embedded. Your printer could guide you on what method is preferred.

PDF is best bet, then you know the printed product will be as you intend. Most printers will be happy to help you with the settings they desire on creating a PDF, since this makes their job easier in the end.

Of course, if you do it wrong, such as selecting 72DPI for graphics, they will eternally hate you! So call the printer next time you have a job and have them tell you what settings they want.

One caveat, after a doc is turned into a PDF, editing it is impossible (well, make that very difficult) so make sure it is correct before sending out. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back