Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tab characters and the clipboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpdoug

Programmer
Nov 27, 2002
US
I want to embed a charater into a string of values that will force a "tab" after every value and insert it into the Clipboard.

When the string is pasted into the first text box the first tab character will cause the cursor to focus on the second text box and the next value in the string will paste into it until the next tab character, which will force the focus to the next text box... and so on until the end of the string.

I have tried to do this in a test, but it seems that the tab character gets lost in the clipboard, so that the whole string gets pasted only in the first text box.

Try enter Ctrl-Tab in a textbox.

Do you mean embedding the escape characters of Ctrl-Tab on the string to be inserted on the clipboard?

No, I hope these shortcuts will be translated in true Tab chars.
May be I'm wrong...

With my experimentation with embedding tab characters in a string is that when they get on the clipboard they are changed to spaces. So when they are pasted into a text box they are no longer tabs, but spaces.

I don't know if there is a way to get the clipboard to maintain the tab characters or not.

Not sure if this is related or not, but see my thread SendMessage doesn't seem to handle embedded tabs in a string thread713-1040188 pertaining to SendMessage API failing if string has embedded tab characters. Thanks!

Have a great day!

j2consulting@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back