Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

T7406 Cordless with a BCM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberWizard

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2005
CA
We're running a BCM400 V3.6 in one location. Most of the staff are running i2050's with a smattering of i2002 and i2004 IP sets. A few general 900MHz cordless sets were connected to the analog lines just to provide a bit of portability. We're at a point now of replacing dying cordless handsets with T7406's. The installation guide is surprisingly clear but doesn't seem to translate to a BCM installation. Has anyone got any tips for installing a T7406 on a BCM? Should it use the analog ports, or is it smarter than that? The manual claims that the Assigned Line should be set to Ring and Appear, but the analog ports have a read only field set to Ring Only for an "Other" set. I've identified the handset to the base with no problems but the handset does nothing apart from going to sleep. Any advice that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

CyberWizard

The T7406 is a digital set and requires digital ports. You can assign three 7406 phones per base, and two bases per system.

If you got the phone to ID to the base, connect it to a digital port and you should be good to go.

I suspected that might be the case. Given that all of our phones are IP based I presumed that I couldn't just connect it to one of my Baystacks and have all be well. I'll take another look for where/how my digital ports are configured and go from there.

Thanks!!

In case anyone else goes down this road...

It turns out that we cannot use the T7406 phone with this BCM because there is no digital card installed. All of the phones are either IP sets or softphones so, without digital sets in use, a digital card was not installed. If anyone knows of an IP module or an analog to digital adapter I'd love to hear about it!
(just kidding)

Hi Cyberwizard

you could use the wireless IP phone that is a cordless IP phone.

Marshall

Hi mrmarshall

I wish!!

We talked about that, and really liked the idea. However, at this point, we don't have wireless in the building yet. To be honest, our building is small enough that we really don't need it. We have 50 users and 105 active jacks so we really can't justify going to the trouble. The powers that be decided that it was too expensive for the limited use that it would see. At this point, the cordless phones are really only used occasionally by IT staff when on support calls and not worth too much expense to us. I was really hopeful that the 7406 would provide me with a sweet new toy, but I'll live.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

There is a module out there that converts H323 to Analogue will have a look about and see if I can find it. I know it exists because there was a post about it in a forum regarding getting a fax machine to work on an H323 phone.

Marshall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back