Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

T1 for apartment building

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungerf5

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2001
US
Not sure if this is a switching question or a router question so here it goes:

I'm looking into buying a T1 for my apartment building. What is the best way to allow all tenants to use the T1 but not be able to access each others networks?

Is there a way to have a switch to dish out IP's on different subnets? Where each port on the switch would be assigned a different subnet.

Trying to brainstorm with intermediate networking skills and not getting very far. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks...

--Rick

Best way would be to get a router, and a switch that can do Private VLAN's

only way they could take to each other is if it gets processed via the L3 box..

BuckWeet

Would a Cisco 2950 Do the trick?

--Rick

yes, this feature on the 2950 only works on the same switch though. So if you need multiple switches, then you need a L3 box that has multiple interfaces, 3550 should work for that or even a router..

"port protected" is what you're looking for..

So I can segragate each port on a 2950 by setting up a sperate vlan on each port. This gets me the security I'm looking for.

What will be giving out the IP's (dhcp)? This setup needs to be plug and play. A user should be able to plug in a computer in their apartment and receive an IP if they request one.

--Rick

Nope, what you're looking at is having each port on the same vlan, but on all ports that you don't want talking to each other you need to do the port protected command, its almost like vlan'ing. The only way the devices could talk to each other is via the router.

So again, all one subnet, all one vlan.

You could setup the router to do dhcp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back