Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

T1 Firewall Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTTech

MIS
Oct 11, 2000
US
I am looking into purchasing a firewall. I am looking at Cisco PIX 501 and Watchguard. Which one is better and easier to configure for someone who knows NOTHING about firewalls?

I can tell you that the PIX is a nice piece of equipment, and is always my first choice. However, they're not really geared towards the uninitiated. If you have a complex networking environment you'll appreciate the products flexibility.

Unfortunately, I've never used Watchguard. So, I can't really help you there.

As an alternative, have you looked at the SonicWall line of products? I've implemented a few of them. You don't have to be a network engineer to set them up, and they come with a fairly good manual for someone not familiar with firewall configuration. The only downside is that they are less configurable than the more complex products and you may outgrow it's functionality as your network gets large.

If I remember correctly, Sonicwall has a managed option where you don't have to configure it yourself, don't they? Would be a good option for someone who doesn't want to mess with programming a firewall.
Otherwise Cisco is the (somewhat pricey) way to go for fiewwalls, tho I haven't played with Watchguard so I can't give a rating of them.

I have used both and prefer the Cisco. The Watchguard was easier to configure though it runs slow with all their software upgrades and you have to maintain a yearly subscription ($900.00) to get upgrades to their software, which for me usually made the box SLOW unless you reloaded from scratch. Basically like upgrading a PC's OS. Do a clean install.

I used the Firebox I, II and III until we switched last year over to a Cisco PIX. Luckily I have a friend that is Cisco certified so I hired him to do a quick config for us on the firewall and router though I have learned how to maintain it now. The Cisco does have a web interface but it is rather slow and confusing compared to the Watchguard software.

Dev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back