Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

T1 connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutek10

Technical User
Oct 12, 2004
I was once asked in an interview ...
"what SHOW command would you use to start trouble shooting a T1 down line. ?"
What is the right answer...anyone please.

Well that could definitly be a loaded question. If you knew the interface the T1 was connected to, you could show int 1/0 or whatever the interface was. This would give you alot of good info. Like whether it was a physical(Interface) or data link(Line Protocol). So if it was Interface Up, Line Protocol Down, this could be a encapsulation issue or no keepalives set etc.. If it was in an interview you should worry about being able to back your answer no matter what it is. That is what is most important.

Hi All,

If you do a "show interfaces", it will give you all your router interfaces and their states. Good starting point to troubleshoot your connections.

Hope this helps.

Take Care,

Rocket

Thanks techies....I gave the guy the same answer and the interviewer laughed and said you should know the correct answer. (basically meaning "wrong answer").
Any more suggestions....?

Thanks techies....I gave the guy the same answer and the interviewer laughed and said you should know the correct answer. (basically meaning "wrong answer"). He says the SHOW INT will not give info about the T1 line.
Any more suggestions....?

Definitly not a good interviewer at least. It is always easy to ask someone a question you already know the answer to and then chop them down when they dont give you the exact answer. There are probably many reasons a T1 could be down. If you ever get a question like that again have the interviewer elaborate. Natural Disaster, ISP, Rat chewed through the line somewhere. The IT market is gaining momentum again depending on location, Florida is great so dont let e bum interviewer bother you. Just be confident in any answer you give and defend it. Sh INT wont give you direct information about the line but It will give you information about the interface you are connecting to it with. Just about the same anyways.

Totally agree with NetworkGuy.

Its impossible for any human being to know everything, specially in the fast paste IT field.

When I'm in an interview I always tell the interviewer that if I told him I knew everything I would be lying,(there is always something new you can learn everyday), cause I obviusly don't. But when the time comes to troubleshoot a problem, I will deliver. It seems to work everytime, I guess they want straight honest answer.

I've heard guys with MCSE, Degreee, etc. claim to know the tecnology. When somehting has gone wrong, they don't know a thing, they don't know where to start troubleshooting and just panic.

I think anybody can be a good Administrator when everything is working smoothly.

Later,
Rocket

Excellent Help!!!!
Thanks to all!
RS

Show controllers T1" should point you in the right direction.

lot of good advice though. If an interviewer is an a$$ during the interview, than your better off not working for him.

Seems to me like that's a somewhat loaded question, since it depends on how the T1 is connected to the router. If you have a T1 WIC in a 1720, then sure, "show controller t1" will work. But if you're on, say, a 2620 and are connected to a CSU/DSU, then you'd need to use "show interfaces" to look at the serial port.

i would try "show ip interface [brief]" to eliminate layer 1, 2 or layer 3 first.

Microbyte
[medal][medal]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back