Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

T-SQL Query - NULL's

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstrong

MIS
Dec 18, 2000
GB
Hi all,

Quick query problem...

I need to query the table to find if there are any partial shipments. If there is a partial shipment, then there will be no shipping name assigned (the field will contain a NULL).

So, if there are 10 lines on an order and 8 are picked, the 8 lines will have a picking name and 2 lines NULL.

What I want to do, is list all of orders that are not complete....ie, contain some picked lines and some lines that are not picked.

Thanks,
Clive

Assuming each record has an order number or order ID. You could do something like the following.

Select * From Orders
Where OrderID In (Select OrderID Where ShippingName Is Null) Terry L. Broadbent
FAQ183-874 contains tips for posting questions in these forums.
NOTE: Reference to the FAQ is not directed at any individual.

This should do it (not tesed; haven't got my sql reference handy), assuming you have Orders and OrderLines tables related by OrderNo :
select * from Orders
where (case (exists select 1 from OrderLines where OrderLines.OrderNo = Orders.OrderNo) then 1 else 0)) = 1

The exists clause returns (an internal form of ) true as soon as the select it quantifies find a record and false if none are found. See the BOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back