Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sysvol

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilviaS

Technical User
Sep 18, 2001
GB
Hi all
Can anyone think of any issues in using the sysvol as the url location for the default homepage.
We have no sharepoing or iis so this is a question I am being asked.
Thanks

I would not recommend messing around with Sysvol. What are you trying to accomplish?

Yeah I'm with chipk, leave SYSVOL alone to do it's thing.

Paul
MCSE 2003
MCSA 2003
MCITP Enterprise Administrator

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

I agree but I need to provide a resonable explanation. IIS and other web systems are out of the question as a consultant has recommended this. All they want is a location to store the default homepage for when browsers startup that has resiliance builtin.

Your consultant has recommended an improper solution. Get a new consultant.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

There are no more PDC's! There are DC's with FSMO roles!

Cheers but can anyone pass on a one liner to argue the case?

The consultants are wrong. Do not mess with SYSVOL or risk bringing the entire domain down."

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

There are no more PDC's! There are DC's with FSMO roles!

If you need to display a home page for your users then use Group Policy.

So a consultant recommended AGAINST using a built in web server application in favor of an AD feature not designed for what they're recommending you do? The logic there should be all you need. If it's not tied to a login script or GPO, you'd have to kill me to use sysvol for anything else.

What's the need for resilience? Seems to me if it's that important, you should use the correct feature. You can NLB web servers if needed.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

It seems like haveing this url on a rebust location is important and should include replication.

Use a GPO, by default GPOs are stored in the SysVol (without getting into too many details) which repliactes to all DCs and can be made available to all or targeted users depending on OU. You can accomplish this without actually making any changes or evening going into the SysVol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back