Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

systray (in taskbar) icon size 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philidor

Technical User
Nov 25, 2001
US
Win98se. I installed and uninstalled a theme. The systray icons (near the clock) are now twice their correct size, and may be growing. The font is increasing proportionately. Before the screen is taken over by the taskbar, can someone tell me where the setting control is for the systray icon size?
Thanks.
(The QuickLaunch icons on the other side of the taskbar are not affected, but the task button icons are.)

Right click on your desktop, select Properties, Appearance and select the Windows Default Scheme. This should reduce everybody back down to size.

You might also try, after that, changing your screen size to 640x480, and then increasing it one at a time back to the original size (done from Settings tab in above location).

Matt A+, MCP, MCP+I, MCSE Windows NT 4.0, MCSE Windows 2000 Early Achiever with Security Emphasis

Thanks!
I'd bumped into a similar solution after posting: installing a new theme reduced the size of the icons, but left the taskbar enlarged. I reduced the taskbar size to match, so ok, except...
Maybe the theme that messed up the icons had a very large font associated, and the icons size with the font.
Maybe other things resized with the theme font:
As I type this, the font is very large. Under View, it's set to Medium, and the Address text is the right size, about half the size of this text.
When I open a window from one of the systray icons, it's much bigger than before, though the icon is back to normal. I have to drag the window to the right in order to get to some check blocks on the left.
I also have to drag the IE 6.0 screen down to meet the smaller taskbar size.
I'll try your suggestion about dropping to 640 x 480 and going back to 800 x 600 to see if these get resolved.
Too bad there isn't a separate setting for taskbar sizes that would control all these factors at once.
By the way, my usual setting is 800 x 600. My device is a 'Plug and Play Monitor' (actually a Proview 772 17")and I've been wondering whether to add a new monitor setting (Windows has a driver for Proview 770) and then delete the generic one. Guess one aggravation is enough for one weekend, though.

Final Update.
The new theme that fixed the systray icons was causing the problems mentioned.
Used Display/Settings/Advanced/General to change from Large Fonts to Small Fonts. (The theme had changed the setting from Small to Large.)
Now the text I'm typing is the right size. And so are the windows that open from clicking on the systray icons.
Problem is, the systray icons are now so tiny I can barely tell one from another. The theme had set Large Font to make the systray icons bigger.
I'll live with it.
Thanks again! (By the way, nothing happened after the screen resizing, but I'll remember that as a future test solution.)

Try going back into Appearance in the Display settings and changing the size of the Active Title Bar (and Inactive if you want them to match) to something larger (like from 25 to 35). Remember this is the size of the BAR not the FONT!

Matt A+, MCP, MCP+I, MCSE Windows NT 4.0, MCSE Windows 2000 Early Achiever with Security Emphasis

While some of these other suggested changes will affect the appearance of these Icons... What actually controls the size of the icons in the SysTray (TaskTray), from what I have seen, is the Caption Buttons item in the Appearance tab of Display Properties. This also changes the Minimize, Maximize and Close buttons up on the Title Bar.

The default setting, I believe, is 21.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back