Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Systray icons 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

micker377

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
Lately, most of my Systray Icons have been failing to return on re-boot. Is there a limit on how many you can have in "hidden" status (I have 30? I am the only user (admin account <I know - dangerous>). I can use the Doug Knox "Save Settings", and log off-on and they all come back until the next time I reboot. They are all listed in "Customize Notifications" and MSConfig, just won't return to the Systray.

I think the bigger problem here is you have THIRTY icons in the system tray.
THIRTY. That means you have thirty programs running, and I bet you only need about 3 of them to run.

Does your computer run incredibly slow? I bet you dont even know how slow it's running, and it is normal now.

What do you have running, and why? Can we help you get rid of some of them so your computer can run better?

Here's your original post back from 2 years ago. Is this still the same machine with the same old problem?

Taskbar Icons
thread779-821607

SysTray Icon GONE, SysTray service not running
thread779-1120818

321213 - Icons in the Notification Area May Disappear If You Use High-Contrast Color Themes

The new Tweak UI 2.10 for XP has the option to disable all icons in the notification area.

Linney: yeah - same computer, re-occurance! Same cure. I couldn't find my original post, now I've saved the .vbs for next time! The odd thing is, after cleaning up, there are only 15 things in the Systray. I guess that is what was fouling it up - programs that I had removed. Thanks for jogging my memory!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back