Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SysTray Icon GONE, SysTray service not running

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahnula

Technical User
Jun 26, 2005
US
Well, I've gone & done it again...developed a real head-scratcher. For some reason Windows has decided not to load the SysTray process for my user on my Win XP pro system, P4 2.63, SATA 250gb HDD, 1GB RAM, ATI AIW-8500.

I am talking not only are there no icons anymore in the SysTray, the service is not running. If I log off/ logon as Administrator all the icons are there, everything is hunky-dory, but I don't wan to logon as Admin, I have my user setup just the way I want it.

Only major recent changes were installing Ghost and cloning the drive (last week) and installing Konfabulator last Wed. I know the icons were there after both, I remember seeing the new Ghost & Konfabulator icons. Right before this happened, I performed a shutdown while some apps were still loading, but performed said shutdown through Windows and did not do a "pull the plug" type shutdown. No error messages.

I performed a SysRestore to before installing Ghost and Konfab, still no icons.

If I go to Taskbar and Start Menu Properties, in the Notification Area, everything beneath "Show the Clock" is grayed out. The clock is still visible in the tray.

I ran an app called SystrayX that is supposed to help solve Systray problems, but it doesn't appear in the Windows Systray either. When I go to Programs>SysTrayX> I am given the warning it is already running, and presented with a screen with all my missing icons displayed, so I know the programs (AV, ZoneAlarm etrc) are running, I just can't see their respective icons in my Systray. Any ideas?

My next step could be to repair Windows w/ the CD, but I hate that because even w/ my slipstreamed SP2 CD there's still tons of updating and changes get made. I could also boot from the clone to see if the Systray is running, but that's a major hassle as it's an external USB IDE drive, but it's available as a last resort. Thanks all.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back