Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

system32 folder pop up at login

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberThug

IS-IT--Management
Jul 30, 2001
US

When users logon (including admin) to citrix. the System32 foler pop up on desktop like a startup shortcut. I checked all the startup folders including each users. There is no shortcut for the System32 folder in the startup folder. Yet it does it everytime. This has been happening for the last two week now. Where else haven't I checked?

Thanks in advance.

I know in a regular NT environment this is sometimes caused by an incorrect startup program call. Try the following

Start the Registry Editor (regedit.exe).
Open this registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Verify that all the values in these keys do not contain any incorrect, incomplete, or null entries (such as "").
If the (Default) Name variable has a value of "" (an empty string), delete the Name variable. After the deletion, the value for (Default) should be "(value not set)".

This has worked for me in the past. I haven't tried it on TS or MF so perhaps one of the other Bigtime Citrix helpers will have additional insights.

Delete one of the users and recreate, when you do I bet it goes away. I have seen that the profile gets "confused". When you delete it ( you could drill down and find the users profiles and delete that way too) all should be well again.

hrmm.. delete any user profile? the problem exist on all the profiles. Ok i;ll delete one of them then.

By deleting one profile, you will prove whether the issue exists in the default user or whether the problem has come about some other way.

If the default user shows the problem, then recreate it.

If deleting one profile fixes it, then delete the rest (incrementally!).

Have a look at my FAQ on profiles, and let me know if it helps or hinders :)

faq48-990

CitrixEngineer,

When i inherit this job a few months ago, the system was setup without any profiles, just a log on script. Therefore isn't any profiles for me to work with.

I deleted the default profile and logged on as admin. And the system32 folder didn't pop up. however when i logged on as a reg. user the folder still does. This might be a cliche but i really appreciate all the help you had been given to this forum. I read your FAQ on profiles and gain some insight but how should i solve tis problems now since we don't have profiles scripts for users?

Thanks in advance

Refer to polymath5's response. Deleting the name value in regedit fixed my problem on Windows NT Terminal Server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back