Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System won't Shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonmorovich

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2002
US
I am having an odd problem. When I click Reboot, my system will reboot without a problem. When I Click Shutdown, my system will say shutting down and then a blue screen appears with info and then disappears just as quick and then the system boots back up again. I CAN NOT shut this system down! Once the system comes back up it says that the system has recovered from a serious error.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Go to Control Panel> System> under Startup and Recovery click Settings> under System Failure uncheck Automatically restart. This should stop your computer from rebooting after the BSOD flashes and should let you get more information about the error. Post the error your getting back so we can have more information about whats going on. Did this just start happening? Have you installed anything new recently? Any "Wake-On" settings configured?

- Resources to help troubleshoot shutdown problems in Windows XP

Joey
A+, Network+, MCP

Thanks for the quick response.

Here is what I got with the Blue Screen:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time....

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed...

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly isntalled hardware or software...

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x000000B0, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804EF3EE)

Beginning dump of physical memory.
Physical dump complete.
Contact your system...

This actually isn't my laptop. It's my neighbor's. So I'm not sure what was recently installed. He told me it just started and nothing was installed. While the system is up it runs fine. No problems at all.

Also, not sure what you mean by "Wake-On" so I can't give you a good answer on that.

Thanks again for the help.

You could try running the 'chkdsk /r' command (preferably via the recovery console, but if not enter the command in windows command prompt then reboot) and see if that helps

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

Tried the chkdsk /r but did not solve the problem. Also tried a registry cleaner and still no luck.

Could be a number of things, but I would check for bad device drivers as a start.

- How To Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

You might also want to test the RAM on the computer to see if there are any problems there.

Joey
A+, Network+, MCP

You probably don't want to hear this, but this sounds a lot like the symptoms just before the hard drive on my wife's labtop bit the dust. If at all possible try to create a Ghost(R) image of the drive before it fails entirely. You may also want to try to get a disk diagnostics program from the drive manufacturer. That may be able to detect and repair the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back