Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

system won't recognize cd /need to re-install win 95

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmc3

Technical User
May 30, 2001
US
Packard Bell R500 needed a new CD. I bought a 56X speed
rather than replacing the 24X. It works fine but now I would
like to re-install WIN '95 do to the fact I must have lost
info from Windows and can no longer enter 'My Computer' and
'Find', etc. I am trying to run the Master Restore Diskette
and Packard Bell Master CD but it comes up with "Can not
determine CD Model" in MS Dos then jumps down to A/: I figure it must be a problem in config.sys but the CD works
great when not using the Master CD. I am not very comfortable with playing around with config.sys from past
experiences.

This sounds more like a Packard Hell problem. Evidently they built in CD identification to eliminate free-lance replacement. And if you could find a 24 it probably wouldn't work either.
Now is the time to attempt a 95 from scratch. You'll need a boot floppy with cd support (fdisk and format) and the 95 cd(not the PB). The boot floppy can be DOS to the level that will support the file system type you'll be using. (fat16 or fat32).
The alternate for the time being is to load the install stuff from the CD onto the hard drive and run the install from there. You have everything you'll need to overlay , or if you're really determined, blow the windows directory away first. Just have a boot disk tested and available so you can get to the install directory. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I agree with edfair...the problem is most likely with the Packard-Bell side of things being as it can't determine the CD model when trying to run the P-B Restore CD...a lot of times when you change something physically (i.e., the new CD) on what I refer to as a "proprietary" PC, and then try to use the Restore CD, problems arise. I also would suggest the install of Win95 from scratch...

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back