Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Won't Boot 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDelo

Technical User
Feb 11, 2005
US
I recently upgraded my motherboard to a Gigabyte GA-7N400PRO2. I haven't been able to get my system to boot since. As soon as I turn the power on the fans turn on for approx. half of a second & then shut off. The power L.E.D. stays on & also the memory indicator light on the motherboard stays on (thats the one that my manual says do not remove memory when light is on). It's almost as if it's shutting itself down as a fail safe or something. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Any help woould be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cleared CMOS, with power cable removed from power supply?

Remove ALL cards from system. Just the processor and ram should be in it. No drives nothing hooked up except the power supply. No Boot?

Make sure processor and heatsink seated correctly?

Bad PSU? Try shorting the green and black wires that are next to each other on the ATX connector of the PSU (Right in the middle of the connector). Use a piece of stripped wire to join the contacts and power it up to see if it turns on.

Processor still okay? Check with old mobo.

Possible bad system board?

This is normal with an AMD CPU if the CPU cooler fan is not operating properly, or if the CPU is getting hot for any reason. Make sure the CPU is on the heatsink properly (it can be put on backwards). Check that the CPU fan is on the pins that say "CPU". You will find other pins that say "Sys1" and "Sys2". These will make the fan turn, but the "on" signal (speed) won't get to the CPU regulater circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back