Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

system volume information

Status
Not open for further replies.

duke11

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
CA
What is system volume information. I ran aprogam called Treesize and it shows System Volume Information to be over 8 Gigs. Where can I find this folder and can I delete it ?

Run the Disk Cleanup tool and use the "More Options" tab to remove all but the most recent restore point.

You don't really want Restore Points going back too far as they will more than likely uninstall all programs or settings you have changed since your "go back point" causing you more problems than it may fix.

The average restore point is 25mb+ with a "first in, first out" policy on restore points. They contain mainly deleted or altered exe, dlls, shortcuts and a registry backup and user profile details. They do not contain users data.

Keeping restore points for a week seems adequate. Amount of disk space used depends on the size of your restore points. Some restore points can be as large as 500mb after major alterations to a system (ie a new service pack or several hefty program installs).

System Volume Information is a protected operating system folder in your root directory ( C:\ ). Like other such files it is by default hidden precisely to prevent the user from deleting it. Leave these files well alone.

To see the protected operating system files go into Windows Explorer and in Tools>Folder Options>View unselect "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)". I suggest that once you have done so to see all such files you immediately re-select that option in Tools>Folder Options>View.

HTH

Gunny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back