Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Timer Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinmanUK

Technical User
Jul 11, 2002
GB
Hi My PC gives me 4 beeps when turning it on and wont power up according to books 4 beeps indicates system timer failure is this fixable or does it require a new motherdoard?
thx alot

A system timer failure is rather uncommon. The 4 beep POST code can also mean, on a AMI BIOS motherboard for instance, that there is an error in the first bank of RAM.

Check your SIMMs / DIMMs to make sure they are seated properly and fully. If no change swap out the memory in the first position for another one and try again. Slowing down the RAM system in the BIOS Advanced settings may also help in getting a response. Your mileage may vary...

The bios is a Phoenix bios , board is only 8 months old, i tried changing the ram but no change still 4 beeps....i also tried a PSU from a working PC and it still wont power up so i cant get into the bios.

Phoenix BIOS's use patterns of beep codes; in the case of newer versions, 4 groups of beeps. Like 2-1-1-1. I need to know the pattern - can you please post it here?

Thanks

Also make sure that the video card is completely and fully seated into its slot. Remove it and reinstall it if unsure. Your mileage may vary...

Phoenix BIOS's use patterns of beep codes; in the case of newer versions, 4 groups of beeps. Like 2-1-1-1. I need to know the pattern - can you please post it here?

Thanks

Also please make sure the video card is completely and fully seated into its slot. Remove it from the computer and reinstall if you are unsure of this. Your mileage may vary...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back