Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggggooo

MIS
Feb 8, 1999
US
My system clock seems to run slow when my machine is powered down. It is fine as long as it's turned on. The machine is only a couple of years old and I don't think it's the battery because it only loses a couple of hours even when powered off for a few days. Any clue?

Just because your system is only a couple of years old does not mean the Manufacturer got a fresh off the shelf battery when they put it together. Their last shipment of batteries could have come by way of slow boat from China.<br>
<br>
Change the battery and see what happens.<br>

One good way to determine if it is the cmos battery, is to check the bios time before booting into nt.

If you think the CMOS clock chip is bad rather than a weak battery a lazy solution is to try the Millenium y2k RTC board ( This uses the Dallas DS17487-5 ( clock chip( dallas claims +-1min/month). The board is a drop in 8bit ISA slotcard with configurable port addresses (C800 to DC00)that bypasses the cmos clock for y2k probs but actually replaces the CMOS clock. You can also try buying the chip itself from Dallas or dist. and soldering it in to the motherboard yourself :(

If changing the battery doesn't help, you could try updating the system clock from the internet.&nbsp;&nbsp;That way your clock will get corrected even if it goes slow.<br><br>Socketwatch is a utility that watches for connection to the internet, then polls time servers and updates the clock.&nbsp;&nbsp;It is available from <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> and is a free download for evaluation.&nbsp;&nbsp;Licence cost US$10.<br><br>

If it is a workstation rather than a server (and if it is a server why are you powering it down?) the use a log in script including the net time command.<br><br>Lazy, but it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back