Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System State - Softare Registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dito74

MIS
Aug 18, 2003
US
It happend that a server crashed and failed to load the C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\Config\SOFTWARE file. We had to restore the whole "System State", I re-installed Win2K and installed the Agent afterward. I looked back in time for a good Full-Backup of the server in the LOGS where I had no errors.

I successfully restored it (no errors), rebooted and it looked fine but the SOFTWARE registry didn't get restored. I opened ADD/Remove Programs and saw only the CA BAB Agent, so I think that our SOFTWARE registry part is the new one I installed and not the restored one.

I use Win2K SP4 with all the r=most recent updates, and BAB 11.1 with the latest patch (October 2004, not September).

Why my SOFTWARE registry didn't get resored? CA suggested that there might have been something wrong with the backup, but the LOG didn't say so. The server we are talking about in here is FULLY backed up every time at every job, I don't select folders, I have a "FULL BOX CHECKED" next to it.

I DO have a concern, I exclude some folders out in the filter and one of this is C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG because it's always giving me warning of files being in use. Should I not filter that? Isn't the SYSTEM STATE session taking care of that? If so, why my SOFTWARE registry part isn't that one I restored?

Thanks in advance to all of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back