Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System State Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfokker

MIS
Aug 27, 2007
US
I am having a problem doing a system state restore of a server. After doing a full backup of the server last Friday evening we updated some firmware and other devices with latest firmware. Well the unthinkable happened(yeah stuff like this never happens lol) and the server had an issue with the raid array Sunday evening/Monday morning before another System State backup could take place. We have attempted to rebuild the server with the same version of windows server and attempt to do a system restore of the server and it blue screens. We suspect that the firmware updates we did caused the server failure and since we did the updates after the system state backup that restoring the system state to a pre update state is causing the machine to blue screen. Since the server is end of life I am on a fact finding misson as I am migrating the server roles to other servers. Anyones thoughts on why this happened are welcome.

Some added information

The server is Windows 2003 Standard Edition & is not a DC.

During the System State restore the restore misses files however the backup of the server has had no errors.

The Restore is relatively small with just the System state and a few hosted applications.

The server has had all updates installed and the client for Commvault has also been installed & updated.

A couple of quick questions:
Is it possible to roll-back the firmware?
Is there any information on the blue screen that you could supply so that we can try to pin point it's cause.

Also, I wonder if you would be better off doing the full restore onto a base installation of the operating system, rather than on a platform that is fully patched - possibly to a level that is beyond the original server.

Hello

They were going to try to roll back the Firmware. And the Blue screen error message is a 7B stop error.

At this point the failed server role has been moved to other servers so I am mostly on a fact finding mission for the next time we have to do a System State restore.

Mr Fokker,

We had a server fail after a power surge that took the Perc controller out. After replacement we installed the basic OS and 1 note here, the restore has to be done to the same SP level OS as the backup was done at. We loaded the OS 2003 then to SP2. Did the restore to C:Drive with Overwrite and original path for the restore. We had some driver errors for our rack monitor and about 350 Windows files. The restore report reported the missed files. We also did a ACL only full restore to the D Drive which was intact after the OS restore. We ran the OS and the ACL in seperate jobs. The server is running and seems to be fine. Don't know if this helps.

Thanks for posting to the CommVault Threads. I'll be following the threads for issues and support the effort.

Mitmont

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back