Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System slowing down

Status
Not open for further replies.

inq1

Technical User
Apr 30, 2003
US
Can you give me a hint as to why this system is acting strange. It takes forever to get a login prompt via telnet or on the console, if at all. I have to press the off button, then turn it on and let it boot up. It is okay for a while but then starts hanging again. Please remind me how to find growing files etc. The strange thing is, this is no longer the production machine and is used very little but we still need access. I have an entity that FTP's into this every evening but they cannot since 2 days ago. I would appreciate any suggestions as to where to look and what to do. thanks,

I'd look at the content of /var/adm/syslog

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

What am I looking for?

What am I looking for?
unexpected error/warning messages.

BTW, no /etc/auth/system/ttys-t file ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

There is not -t on the ttys file. What would i be looking for anyway?

Looks like you have a corrupted ttys database and needs to rebuild it. Try the following (No one can be in the system when you do this).

cd /etc/auth/system
if ttys-t exist copy ttys-t to ttys as follows:
cp ttys-t ttys
mv the ttys-t to another name
mv ttys-t ttys.old
Follow by these commands
ttyupd
/tcb/bin/ale /etc/auth/system/ttys pttyupd

A new ttys database should be created. Logoff then login again and you should see the diference.

Joe

If the system does not have the ttys-t file, simply continue with the other steps.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back