Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Shock! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoEdge

Technical User
Oct 2, 2002
Well, here I come again, humbly seeking my fellows´ wisdom.
I´ve just setup a system consisting of:
- EPoX 8RDA3+
- Thermal Take P
- GeForce FX 5600

The rest I think doesn´t matter...

Well, I´m getting eletrical shocks from my desktops´ surface, any hints for me?

I thank you right now, but will absolutely thank you more later :)

Sorry, didn´t note the entire name of the power source, it´s a W0011R TT 480W+PFC PURE POWER.

Cheers.

What kind of underwear do you use, what kind of pants are you wearing, what kind of shirt, coat, and shoes?
Where are you, and what kind of weather are you having?
Usually shocks like this are from static, in fact static discharge from your body to earth ground attempting to equalize charges. Types of clothing worn can interact with the material in chairs to create static. And dry environments made that way by heating low humidity air to even lower humidity room temperature make it worse.
The artificial fabrics are bad about it.
I have one machine that I regularly reboot in the winter when I get up from one particular chair when I have one particular sweater on and I touch the case. I carry pennies with me to use to spread the transmission path by touching the penny to the case first. Saves my nerves but doesn't stop the computer reboot.
I'm not saying that you can't have an electrical problem. But I've fought too many static problems over the years to consider that first.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Well, I live in Brazil, where the level of moisture in the air around here is huge. In fact, I´ve only known static for what it really is in a trip overseas, because until that it was a textbook curiosity for me. So I guess it´s safe to rule out the possibilty of static. I think it is a short circuit or some type of leak, but I´m no eletronics expert, that´s why I´m counting on you guys.

Sounds like the electrical outlet it's plugged in to isn't grounded properly.

Jim

If you can get the shoch by touching the case and NOTHING else it's probably static. If on the other hand you must touch two things then I go for a mains leakage in the system somewhere.

Time for a meter from the floor to the case, then.
Don't know what power you have coming in, but this sounds like there is a problem in the grounding of the system, possibly all the way back to the tranformer that converts the last step.
This, of course, assumes that there is grounding provided. Until you get it resolved please don't create a low resistance path with your body between the case and an earth ground like a copper water pipe.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thanks guys, that seems to sum it up alright, confirming my suspicions. I just needed to hear it from the experts.

P.S.: Loved the "copper water pipe" bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back