Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System restore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacksparrow87

Technical User
Jun 29, 2008
GB
Hi everyone,

I've never really posted on this side of the forum as I mainly stay on the programming side however I have come across a problem and was hoping some one with more knowledge could help me out please. I really need to restore my laptop to a position it is on a DVD (I know some may say why not try Windows restore but for some reason I dont want to try this as I need the position my laptop was when it was on this dvd).

Now on to the DVD, when I insert my dvd in my laptop and click on it it comes up with a folder called 'WindowsImageBackup', couple of clicks in to it and I come across a vhd file. My question is how do I restore my laptop please? I don't know what to do.

Thanks

Go to the Backup and Restore Center (just type backup in the start menu search box) and use the 'Restore Coputer' function. (FWIW, this is more of a Vista question than a hard drive question).

Im using XP.

Sorry as I wanted to restore the files on my harddrive so I thought this would be it. Sorry again.

OK, my incorrect assumption. Vista's complete backup systems saves as VHD's.

What application did you use to create that dvd? That's what you'll need to use to restore it.

There are only a few applications that acutually 'create' virtual hard disk files. The only one that I know of that is a backup system is the imaging software built into Vista. Virtual PC uses .vhd files and there are several applications that can read them, but that doesn't seem to be what you're describing. Does WinImage sound familiar?

It seems so long ago and I deleted all the softwares that I did use, I know what you mean but do you think any of these softwares would restore my laptop using the dvd?

First, we need to find out more about the program that made the DVD. In Windows, can you browse the DVD? Under Explorer==>File Options set "Show hidden files and folders" and "show extensions for known file type" for now as this will give us the best chance to find out what app created the program.

What you could also do is, (after backing up your files) try booting to the DVD and see what that has to tell you.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back