Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyBravo1

IS-IT--Management
Mar 16, 2004
US
My friend accidentally deleted 3 folders from his desktop on his Windows XP Pro dell laptop, I ran system restore and everything came back to the restore point date I chose, the three folders showed up on the desktop, but the folders were empty, they had subfolders within the 3 folders but no files were in any of them. Any way to get those files back. Any help greatly appreciated.

The folder structure was preserved by System Restore because it was in his profile. The files were not restored because System Restore only monitors a select group of file extensions; these extensions do not include most of the extensions used by application software such as the Microsofot Office product suite.
System Restore is not a substitute for a good backup routine. It does not do a system state preservation. See: Frequently Asked Questions About System Restore
Done rant.

You need to explore any of the sofwares designed to "undelete" files in Windows. Some freeware utilities I have used:

PC Inspector:
Restoration

Free Undelete

You are very welcome.
Good luck.

Best,
Bill Castner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back