Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Restore Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

brogan

Technical User
Oct 7, 2003
GB
Hi guys,

One of my employees has accidentally over-written an important excel file and not made a backup. I understand that if I use system restore I will not be able to revert back to a checkpoint where that file exists in its previous state as all documents like this are protected.

Is there any way I can get that file back?

restore it from your backup files, if you have it on the server.

Thanks for your response. He works remotely and therefore files are not stored on the server.

Mark

if it is that important use the System Restore - after he saves any other important files he has created since the last Restore Point (check the date of the last Restore Point to determine if any files need to be saved external to the hard drive) to a floppy, flash or CD drive.

Thanks for both of your responses. Smah you are right that I will not be able to restore any documents. Is there any way I can get this document back though?

Mark

smah, i am glad you are more awake than i. i ahve not had my quota of coffee yet.

anyway, ask the person that blew the file away if he either emailed it to someone or if he checked for a file of the same name with a ~ in front of the file and with a .tmp extention. if may be there.

Guys,

Many thanks for your help!

Fortunately, he has just informed me that he has a backup of the document!

Fortunately, I wont have to fire him now ;

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back