Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Restore disabled by virus, how do I re-enable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTracy

Programmer
Feb 20, 2002
US
I cleaned up an XP-Home computer that had many virus infections. Dr-Web and Avira boot disks say the system is now clean. The system restore had been disabled by one or more of the viruses, but now will not re-enable. Message says it's against administrator policy.

How can I re-enable this feature without a complete install?

Thanks and regards,
David.

hawkdaddy-

Thanks for that, I don't remember seeing it before.

As soon as I get a few minutes to cable that thing back up I will try some of the suggestions given.

Thanks again and best regards,
David.

Just a follow up: The above proposed solution did not work and after several other suggestions found on the net that didn't work either I decided to backup, format, and reinstall. That worked!

Thanks hawkdaddy for your valuable time and assistance, it is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
David.

backup, format, and reinstall
That seems to generally work really well. The only bad part there is getting all the additional software reinstalled if you have much to deal with. That part can be FUN FUN FUN. [wink]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back