Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System restarts when playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewlcoder

Programmer
Dec 9, 2003
IN
I am using a Intel845GBV motherboard with onboard graphics, when ever i try to play games my system restarts, and shows me some critical error, or says my graphics driver is not working properly. i have tried reinstalling windows but still i am having this problem, actually after along time, after more than an year, I am trying to play games does this effect the graphics processor not allowing me to play games.

please advice me

thank you
Kewlcoder

Possible causes:

-Overheating or bad video card.
Make sure it's fully seated, it's fan is running, its heatsink is securely mounted, and there's no dust built up on the fan and heatsink.
If those are ok and the system temperature is 40 C or higher, then remove the computer's cover, and run an external fan. If that works and the video card has no cooling fan, then install one. If it has a fan, then install additional or more powerful case fans. Recommended locations are lower front of the case blowing in, and upper rear(or top) blowing out.
If an external fan does not work, then swap out the video card with a known good card.

-Everything not completely seated or connected on the motherboard.

-Overheating CPU
If the CPU gets over 60 deg. C, then make sure there is thermal compound between it and the heat sink. If that's ok, then replace the compound with Arctic Silver3.
If no luck, then install a higher capacity heat sink fan.
If still no luck, then replace the heatsink with a more efficient unit.

-Bad memory
Remove and reinsert the memory a few times, try it in different slots, do not use any optimal settings for the memory in BIOS, run Memtest86, and swap it out with known good memory.

-Bad MB.
Check for bulging, leaking, or ruptured capacitors.
If they look ok, then swap it out with a known good MB.

T he problem is that the ONBOARD video can not handle games as they are to intense for it. I would say you need to get an agp card with at least 128 mb of video card memory.

Wayne

Life is a big Roleplaying adventure.

Wayne

Thank you ski and sleepalot,

but the problem is that..., because i was facing this problem i tried installing an AGP card yeah a 128mbDDR GeForce4, even that did not allow me to play games, even that used to restart the system while trying to play games. i was able to use it for general windows applications but not for games, infact when i used to run DxDiag, when using the AGP its Direct3D test used to fail ( not fail actually but did not show the picture good ) for Directx9 version, and with the onboard every thing is fine all tests work fine...

i am using 512Mb memory(RAM) , it should solve the problem.... its a new one i bought because of this problem, still unable to solve the problem . . .

kindly help
Kewlcoder

See if updating the GF4 video card drivers fixes the DX test problem.

Also, is the system overheating, and did you check the MB capacitors?

And something I forgot to mention is that gaming puts the video card, CPU, and RAM into overdrive, which can overtax an undersized(or cheap) power supply.
You may want to try a different PS.

Reading this, and seeing so many other items covered, i also started thinking power supply.
You can either swap out a good power supply and test that or you can go to techrepublic and use their manual they have there to test a power supply. You do need a digital multimeter, at least thats what it says, although i have had people say you can also use an analog multimeter as well, and those are very cheap to buy. You can also google other power supply test manuals but the one i suggested is very good, only thing is you have to join, but its a good tech source and they dont sell your email addy anyway.

If you do end up getting a new power supply then can i suggest trying newegg as they always have a good selection of decent to real good power supplies. And if you are getting one, i would suggest the low $40's as the place to start for a good power supply.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

thanks ski and garebo,

i will check with the power supply and let you know if there is any difference . . .

and one more thing is what are MB capacitors . . .

Kewlcoder

motherboard capacitors. these are those round barrels that are all over the motherboard.
You can find out more by going to badcaps.com. If i dont have it right then just google it.
But bad caps have rounded tops, not flat tops, they can show signs of leakage, rusty usually, and they often separate from the motherboard at the bottom where they are connected to the motherboard.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Check your Direct X compatibility. If you run a higher Direct X than your onboard graphics can handle it could possible reboot

sct77,
Because the problem affected at least two different GPU's, it doesn't seem like DirectX would be the problem.

In fact, it's always a good idea to upgrade DirectX, regardless if your card was made for it or not. Newer DirectX versions are 99.9% backwards compatible with the previous version. The reason you want to is because the newer releases include patches to bugs that haunted the previous release. The extra features added are simply disabled if your card doesn't support them - not in the way as some are misled to believe.

Kewlcoder,
Wish I had a real suggestion for you. Unfortunately, you'll probably want to troubleshoot this as a hardware issue as you're already doing, unless you're willing to throw a spare drive in and do a clean install of Windows. At least that way, you'll know if it still doesn't work, that the problem is not with the OS.

Keep in mind too that this site doesn't act very kind to threads dealing with gaming issues...

Good Luck!
[thumbsup2]

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back