Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System resets but only when a web browser is in use

Status
Not open for further replies.

euston

Technical User
Sep 8, 2002
GB
The system resets - the screen goes black and the system reboots. This behaviour only seems to occur when a web browser (either IE7, Opera or Chrome) is being used.

The fact that the system is so radically affected makes me think that something at a low level like a network card driver is misbehaving so I am thinking of uninstalling then reinstalling the driver. That will also make it necessary to reinstall the network protocols which would clean up any problems on that side. Does this make sense?

Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!

I am not sure that uninstalling and reinstalling NIC drivers will do anything for your Network settings but it is worth a try.

Are there any clues in the Event Viewer? Have you turned off the Automatic Restart option in System (or via Safe Mode) so you can get a halt and an error number?

Have you tried the Winsock fix by running the Command Prompt command - Netsh Winsock Reset ?

What happens in "Safe Mode with Networking"?

What happens with a different user in Normal Mode?

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

I see lots of recommendations here for programs like -

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

SuperAntispyware

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (this will run it in a Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, restart it by ticking both boxes, and rerun it to allow it to attempt to fix any found problems.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back