Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

juliaatpcgp

Technical User
Aug 21, 2006
GB
I want to set up a PC/laptop using Windows XP to use the VPN feature to access a Windows 2000 Server, it is necessary to have a network card installed or a networking port on the mainboard ?

I have lots of PCs/laptops successfully set up to use VPN. Most have network cards, but one doesn't and another has a network card but one that doesn't work reliably (sometimes it sees the network, sometimes it doesn't).

I await your reply.

Julia

How do they connect to the network without a network adapter? The NIC can be wireless, 100BaseT, or a modem dialing in, but there has to be a connection somehow.

So yes, it needs some type of network board.

The PCs are standalone home PCs used off-site at my user's homes - they connect to the network using VPN only using their login name and password after establishing either a dial up or broadband connection (usually the latter).

For example, I'm typing this message using my home PC running Windows XP Home. I have my broadband connection to the internet which is on all the time and when I want to connect to my workplace I simply fire up the VPN icon and log on. Though my PC has a network port on the mainboard, it's never used for a cable because it's a standalone PC.

I do hope this clarifies things.

Regards,
Julia

Yes. Then the answer to your question is "No". You don't need "network board" as you're thinking of it. Your modem is acting in that capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back