Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System repeatedly detects improper shutdown 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpcbob

Technical User
Dec 23, 2002
US
With Windows ME and Compaq Presario, when I turn my system on or restart, the system detects improper shutdown and begins running Scandisk. While Scandisk is running, in continuously restarts while scanning clusters and resumes the cluster count where it left off the previous time. To run to completion takes about 3 hrs.

If I try to run Scandisk independantly, it continuously restarts with checking file allocation tables, then aborts and says that a windows application is writing to the c: drive. I have tried closing all open windows applications and it doesn't help.

Boot to Safe Mode by pressing F8 while in the POST screens (before the Windows splash screen) and choose Safe Mode.
Do a thorough scan of the disk, where the surface of the disc is examined for bad sectors...and then do a defrag.
Safe Mode should only load enough drivers to get up and there shouldn't be anything running to interfere.

This looks like a known problem, already addressed by Microsoft. See Windows Update:
Windows IDE Hard Drive Cache Package
Download size: 223 KB, < 1 minute
&quot;The Windows IDE Hard Drive Cache Package provides a workaround for computers running Windows Millennium with Integrated Drive Electronics (IDE) hard drives, large caches, and modern processors. IDE hard drives store data in a hardware cache (temporary memory) and write the data to the hard disk later. For these computers, data can be lost during the shutdown process because the amount of time that it takes for fast processors to shut down is so short that the hard disk may shut down before the data in the cache is written to the hard drive. This update introduces a two second delay in the shutdown process, which allows the hard drive's cache to write any data to the hard drive. Download now to delay your shutdown process slightly to prevent data loss.&quot;

I have been able to run scandisk and defrag in safe mode and tried the download from Microsoft and even went into Regedit and changed the delay time to 3000 ms. Still having same problem. This seemed to start happening after an unsuccessful download of some 3rd party software. What else can I try?
If I need to tweek something in the BIOS, please include instructions on how to get into the BIOS.

Is it too late to do a system restore?

You ran scandisk, but did you do a thorough (surface) scan? On most computers, you can enter the bios by hitting delete right after the POST (Power On Self Test-so say, 3 or 4 seconds after you turn the power on). On a prebuilt system like a Compaq, it may not be so easy. Perhaps check with your dealer so you don't void you warranty. Although I'm sure why you think it's a bios issue is you don't know how to change anything. It sounds to me more like bad sectors on you hard drive.

If you're sure it was a faulty software install, you can always re-format and start fresh (you probably have a &quot;rescue disk&quot; of some sort on CD). I mention this as a last resort, I know in tech support it's taboo. But I'm not tech support, I'm just telling you what I'd do, and I recently had to re-format after foolishly opening a Yaha-K &quot;screen saver&quot; VIRUS attachment. Of course, I knew exactly what the problem was!

Please describe the software you tried to install and any other details you noticed about your system since trying to install it. If you know any of the manufacturers of your hardware components, list them with your system specs and maybe it'll be easier for someone to help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back