Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Registry Access Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albert20

Technical User
May 30, 2000
CA
Windows 98 detects an error accessing the system registry evertime i boot (cold or warm.) Sometimes it says it fixed the problem, but sometimes it says it couldn't fix the problem. There is also sometimes a message saying there may not be enough conventional memory to access the registry. I tried to use scanreg/fix using the win98 bootdisk, but the problem still happens everytime i boot or reboot the computer. <br>I tried fdisk, format, reinstalling win98... nothing seems to help <br>please help me. <br><br>System Information: <br>ram: 128 MB SDRAM <br>MB: P3V133 <br>Processor: PIII 600E <br>OS: Win98 SE <br>HD: WD 13.6GB <br>VideoCard: Diamond V550 <br>Network Card: 3Com Etherlink XL (for cablemodem)<br>Sound: ESS 1868<br>Thanx ahead. <br>

What software did you have on the system, before and after re-formatting the drive? Does it give the error after the install is complete and before and other software is installed?<br><br>fenris

I have no software installed, just the bare win98 OS only. It detects an error no matter what software I have in it. Do you think it may possibly be a hardware (RAM) error?<br><br>Thanx ahead.

Win 98 will usually bomb during the install if there is a serious RAM problem. Is the mobo a VIA 133 Chipset? Is you 600 a 133mhz CPU? Is your rating on your RAM?

hey who knows maybe he's a victim of that i820 boards with the MTC that allows SDram to be used(they're recalling almost all i820 boards because they found a bad bug that makes it crash when using SDRam, instead of RDram) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

That's kinda what I was getting at Karl, hence the question about the chipset.

I was going to suggest removing the ethernet card and testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back