Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System reboot only in games

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeakymm

Programmer
Jul 3, 2005
CA
Ok i have check file a error yet i get none but i have 4 games i try to play no matter what i do when i try to play them the system reboots now my system can handle the games no problem iam running 2400xpamd 128meg video updated driver with directxc im lost at what else i can do here please help

Can you do us a favor and start over again, please.
Not sure what you say when you say "Ok i have check file a error yet i get none"
the "a" is that referring to your floppy drive (A:\) or what?

First things to do would be to borrow another video card and try that.
Also use google to find and download the "memtest" program and use this to test your ram, one stick at a time.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

I agree with garebo - at least use some punctauation so that we can understand what you're saying.

If I am following correctly, I would say there are 4 possibilities (in the order that I think is most likely):
1. Bad video card / video drivers
2. Bad or weak power supply
3. Over heating system
4. Bad RAM

I agree with everyone else, about not clearly written thread...

I agree also with SMAH on points 2 and 3...

this is mostlikely a heat issue... as Games make more use of the GPU (Graphics processing Unit) than normal Desktop work...

also I would check the AGP Aperture size in the BIOS, it should be set at a minimum of 64mb, but for games go to 128mb...

also list your MEM size and HD size/Virtual MEM size as this can be a bottleneck aswell in gaming...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

I would try playing the games with your PC's case off once. If it runs fine without the case, that could mean its over heating and causing you PC to reboot to prevent it from frying your video card. If it still reboots with the case off, I would say you can rule out over heating.

With the case off, you can also put a table fan to blow on the cpu. That will help determine it its a overheatinf\fan issue.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

first off are you running windows XP ? if you are try to turn off the restart when your computer crashes to copy down the exact error message and research further on that to turn off restart.

right click my computer click properties
the click Advance ---> then STartup and Recovery click Settings under System Failure section UNCHECK Automatically Restart.

try that and figure out why its crashing. let me know if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back